Friday, September 15, 2006

Broken Plate Necklaces


I was going through my inventory lately, and realized that I really like making the broken plate necklaces. I love the hunt of finding the glass (street, dumpsters, work sites, backyards, Goodwills, yardsales, old homes, etc). Then the physical process of creating them. The grinding of the plates via diamond wheel, the way the glass turnes red with heat and the adrenaline of the general unsafeness of my techniques (sparks flying all around me- which there is usually much clutter and fabric on the floor, no smoke detector, occassional glass breakage and being flung into the air, the glass always burning me, etc). The soldering is always interesting to figure out what flow temp works best, then it's nice to play with fancy findings, like great czech glass, sterling silver, and yarn from Robbt's mom's farm. yay!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21 PM

    i want you to teach me how to make stuff and i wanna make stuff with you.. please.. like necklaces like that.. can we do that??
    Basak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I can't wait for you to be back in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:00 PM

    i hate the fact that i don't get alerted when you answer me!
    i just got this out of my nosiness to look at woh else left a msg and e voila it was you answering ME. damn it ! go back to LJ!
    B

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.