Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Flash Back to Red Rocks

Vegas Recap.
So it's been a month since I was there, but I don't think I posted about it, and I was just thinking of how nice it would be to be baking in the sun right now, so here it goes.
So Mike and I caught similar flights out of Cbus to Vegas where we were met by Karen and Tom and carted to Tom's brother's house outside the city. Upon arriving, Jay was there, which was suprising to me 1.) b/c i thought that the emails from him were actually from a different Jason & 2.) b/c I've only seen him once since they had a baby like 8 months ago. His friend was there too.
We had an amazing week of relaxing climbing. Being out for a year I was definitely not up for any trad leading (although there was a really nice Linville Gorge style 5.6 the first day that I was itching for) and in the end bailed on sport leading. So we did moderate single pitch sport climbing. In a typical frantic state, I would have been a bit saddened by this, but I feel like I've grown a good deal in the last year of being injured and I didn't whine like a small child (probably cause Nathan wasn't there to eg me on) and just really appreciated being outside and with great company.
2 things about Tom's brother- First off, Tom lives in Columbus, but doesn't climb at the gym, so I had never met him before. Turns out that his brother is a structural engineer and works on interesting lighting projects such as all the huge signs in Vegas and Hard Rock Cafe Guitars in hurrican regions that need to withstand huge winds. Then, when walking up to his amazingly self-remodelled 2nd floor, I was struck by this image on the wall:
Yep, that's right for the few other (2?) people who may read this and spent their childhoods there- it's the Ambridge Country Club circa probably 1990. Now, for those of you who do not know about the ACC, it's not really you're typical posh country club. More of a glamorous Elks club. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and have had amazing memories there, but it's not the Ritz. When I was younger it was in much better shape, and actually the place looks exactly the same today as it did in that pic.
Anyways. So it was pretty funny to see the Country Club in an old steel town north of Pittsburgh in a photo in Vegas. Then when Mike and I were on the Rock we ran into 2 guys from CBus. Small, small world. But anyways, we had a great time, and I got to do some shopping while the others watched the OSU game in town the last day. Yes!

I won't over load the photos here, but click here to see the pics that others took, and click here to see the pics that I took with my great new digi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.