Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wednesday



Civic Center Farmers Market, originally uploaded by Petie_in_Cbus.


So I was in a fluster. I was getting computer stuff done and being content with that but felt the overwhelming urge to go back to Golden Gate Park, head down to the beach and take advantage of my location. After a while, I got all my stuff together and headed out.
I really wasn't feeling it. I really wanted to read my book in a cafe, possibly with a beer, not go to some (really really amazing park).
So I headed up market and stumbled upon the farmers market. I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I didn't! The colors on the veggies were incredible. I don't even like fruit, but everything I tried here was amazing. And it was the first time I had had fresh figs. So got some beans, tomatoes (cherry and grape), champagne grapes, garlic, figs and pineapple basil.
Then went to the library to finish this great quilting book and poured through the "Friends of the Library" sale. I headed up to Golden Gate park, and got as far as the polo fields and gave in that this was not what I wanted to do. SO I rode around a bit and went to Toronado. I had a Damnation Golden Ale by Russian River Brewery out of Santa Rosa. Dan & Jesse met me and we headed to the apt to cook up all the goods I got at the farmers market.

Lower Haight

I boiled/reduced the basil with some sugar and steamed the beans and some brussel sprouts. In a frying pan, I put a bit of oil, a bit of Earth balance, 1/2 clove garlic and chopped basil. Then added about a cup of grape tomatoes, same amount of champagne grapes, more basil and some sugar. Added the brussel sprouts and beans and let simmer. The dish wasn't the award winning concoction I had anticipated, but I think adding ginger and almonds will make this a perfect dish!
I also roasted the eggplant while frying up some onions and garlic. Added about a cup of halved cherry tomatoes. Added the eggplant to the onions with canned sauce, cumin and chili powder. A dash of nut. yeast too of course. Spooned over pasta. (Would have been tossed together, but we don't have large enough bowls).
Needless to say I ate/drank more than my body likes through out the day, and I couldn't sleep. I had to keep getting up to rub my belly and take meds. Looks like distance bike ride may be off for the day.
But it was worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Someone from Ashland12:45 PM

    Dude, you don't like fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, more correctly, fruit doesn't like me. Most hard fruits (apples, peaches, plums) I'm allergic to, so if I bite into them, my gums swell. But I can eat them baked/steamed. (Like apple pie!!) Most others are too hard for me to digest, and I start to get think it's turning into a bezoar. Grossssss

    ReplyDelete
  3. someone from ashland3:23 PM

    Good reasons! I apologize for being flippant. :)

    I, however, actually do not like apple pie. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No apologies necessary! I love the bullying!

    No apple pie?!?! WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone from Ashland2:58 PM

    Warm fruit just seems wrong to me. I like cool and crispy.

    But the real reason is because I like the look of shock people get when I tell them I don't like it. :)

    You love bullying? What's the matter with you? ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.