Friday, February 08, 2008

Basil Bag Reveiw


Basil Bag, originally uploaded by Petie_in_Cbus.
So I've been drawing up pannier/trunk bags for a while and poorly attempted one last weekend, and with the North American Handmade Bike Show this weekend, I thought I'd give a quick review of my new Basil Bag.
For starters, I have to admit that I found (what I thought was) a sweet deal for this bag on Amazon and mainly bought it to look at the mounting system...
Anyways. We had been swooning over the Basil Website since last summer and the site was much less developed and when we could find a retailer, the exchange rate was killer. I had been doing some research to try and create an affordable mounting system for my bags and these hit on Amazon, so I grabbed them.
I had read a few poor reviews of the bags, but they were written by boys, so I discounted them as they probably didn't include the 'cuteness' factor.
So they came, JG's eyes lit up, but it smelled like a Barbie dollhouse- the soft plastic stench was overpowering and the material was pretty shotty. The silkscreened images were pretty sub-par although I really like the idea of silksreening the reflectors. The mounting system was composed of two pieces of velcro around the drops and 3/4' webbing for the top of the rack. I headed out to grab some groceries. The bottom cardboard part of the bag makes it unadjustable- which was fine when I had the 10 lbs of onions and potatoes but not so attractive when I just had my tool kit & extra mittens in there. The don't cinch down all the way, so I can't really even call them 'water resistant'.
Best summary- they look like something you could grab in the toy section of the Asian market- cute, fun, poorly made, semi-functional for a short period of time, and more VOCs emitted then legal.
Advice- wait for mine. They'll be cute and well-made right here in Cbus

1 comment:

  1. i'll need a pair that fits under a babyseat!!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.