Friday, April 18, 2008

North Market Sundays and no Sleaze

North Market Artisan Sundays

So starting in May, the outdoor patio area of the North Market will be devoted to local artists. You'll be able to buy treasures from folks living right here in Columbus, Ohio! You can check out the flyer for the complete listing of vendors. I'm next to the Megan ofMiss Megan Mac, and Earth by April. I do not personally know Earth by April, but it looks from her blog that she makes jewelry from "Kazuri beads made from the rich Kenyan clay found at the base the mountains of Nairobi."

I have to say that I am very relieved by this. I thought it was going to be handmade soaps or something and they were going to bother my allergies all day. Whew. Crisis averted.


In other news, there have been a good number of "Calls for fiber artists" lately, but this one for the Quilt Surface Design Symposium takes the cake. Important text reads "Show off your skills in creating "art cloth" by using techniques such as shibori, discharge, batik, screen printing, stamping, foiling and more. Quality of fabrics used is important. Sleazy fabrics are not acceptable."
Hummmm, really, how credible can a show be where they have to specifically mention that. Or, should they really be that down on rayon? Come on now, they're holding this thing at the University Plaza over on Olentangy. Not really the place to go for high class.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, I think I'm the Megan who will be next to you at the North Market. Don't worry...I'm a good neighbor.

    Speaking as a textile designer, I can honestly say that there are a lot of fiber snobs out there. I've gotten attitude from so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great!
    Yeah, I know they're picky, I was just very suprised at the word "sleazy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the word "sleazy" is actually used within the fiber world (it means fabrics or yarns that have a very slick/slippery feel to them), and fiber people sometimes forgets that the world at large doesn't speak their textile terminology. :)

    I try to be the textile person who speaks in layman's terms. (Unless I'm talking to another textile designer, then I geek it up.)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.