Sunday, October 05, 2008

Akron to A Christmas Story!

IMGP3686
(hey, it's October, not Xmas yet!)
I didn't work at the gym this Sunday, so I decided to explore the portion of the Ohio and Erie Canal that stretches from Akron to Cleveland. Originally I assumed that it was going to rain this weekend, and it was going to be a good test scenario for tire choice for an upcoming BIG ADVENTURE.
But it was perfect out. The trail from Akron to Cleveland was really nice- it was well maintained, nice signage, level, leaves were starting to change but hadn't fallen, although very crowded. Plus, one stop had amazing brownies and trailmix. I got on the trail around 9:30ish, and it was cold enough to see your breath, but after a few miles I saw a family of about 5 deer hovering around and crossing the path. Around mile 20 or so when the locks become attractions, I saw 2 turtles sunbathing on a log. Around 30, the crowds had thinned out and the terain became wetlands; I came around a bend to see two deer about 100 yards infront of me. It was odd- we looked at each other and as I slowly approached, they would scurry just a bit a head, and be indecisive about which side of the trail to go to & this went on for a bit. Then, they started trotting about that distance infront of me- at my speed, and would keep looking back at me. This went of for at least a quarter mile until the little one found a hiding space.
On the southern end of Cleveland, the Cleveland Metroparks maintains the trail, and it is gorgeous. Then is feeds into reclaimed brownsfields (in the form of Walmart, Target, etc) and then up the hill to the Tremont section of town. About 50 yards from where the path feeds you to the city was a sign for the House from a Christmas Story. I misread the cost of admission and am not sad that I didn't go in- but I was already in a bit of a time crunch.
All in all, the trail is something not to miss. It's flat and easily accessible to anyone- even just for a short stint. MY MAP!
Akron to Cleveland Towpath Little nap break Cleveland
Christmas Story House! IMGP3688

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:16 PM

    Another really neat feature of that trail is you can ride the Cuyahoga Scenic Railway one way with your bike for $2. That's especially neat for a train and bike buff like myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.