Monday, July 20, 2009

TNT

I haven't posted much here about my LLS Team In Training, (or written actual WORDS in a long while) so here it goes (esp for you B) ...

So Saturday I ran my first 'race.'
It was more of an 'organized event' for me.
I was to run a 5k a few Fridays prior, but my dad came into town, and that was much better to do. (plus, I was scared and it was in the suburbs, and it was a 7 on a Friday night)

So anyways, after not sleeping much and getting up at 5:30, I was able to run 10 miles in 1:45. I didn't think it was too shabby, although the rankings show differently...
2 Sundays before I had run 7.5 miles, and then my training had gone to nothing, so I didn't think I could make it 2 miles let alone 10. A little ecouragement from jg (you can take breaks) and I headed out there.

It took 15 minutes to properly adjust the chip on my shoe, ate too many energy block, fiddled with my pandora stations for too long and finally got up to head to the starting point.

I ran into other TNTer's that I hadn't met and they were great, but said "oh- you're doing the TEN MILER?" After the stomach drop and thoughts of cop-out, I stood in line to leave with the 10milers.

It was awesome. It's so much more motivating to run in that environment than solo, and my partner for the first 3 miles had a quick pace which was refreshing. The last stretch was around Anrtium lake, my knee was killing, but Pandora was doing me well, pulling me along, and I thought- "the next song, I'll just book it to the finish" Then- whap-whap- it was a goo-goo-dolls song. I stopped- flabbergasted at my luck once again, and to switch a pandora song on the iphone takes longer than it should... then continued on to make it in 1 second under my revised goal.* Yes!

*original goal was to finish, then to finish under 2 hrs, then to finish under 1:45.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I have been trying to encourage myself to go running since I haven't been riding a bike (except for the recent 2 day tour). There is an odd fear in myself :( I think I am scared of suffocating while running :p

    Glad you are doing so well with the TNT!!! I wish I could find a group of people like that here too.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.