Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Deer Creek Fall Challenge Recap

0.6 mile swim,24.8mi Bike, 6.55mi Run.
I thought I faired pretty well, but finally got my results and sheesh. They should feel bad that I tried and was still so slow and refund my entry fee...
P1050033
I'm going to start by saying that I was at a bit of a disadvantage here. It was my first week back to working in the field - the 12-14 hr days and sleeping in a stuffy old house with poor air quality really took more of a toll on me than I expected.
And I thought that the run was 8.5 miles, so I conserved more energy than necessary. Anyways, to the swim.
I'm not sure why this swim felt like it was endless, maybe its because the wake was so large that some ladies were freaking out around me? Or that the current was making it endless? Or that I kept swallowing water, choking and thus stopping? It was the first race that a wetsuit was legal in, and mine was awesome. The water temp was 75, but being 50 outside, my feet were still freezing by the time my wave finally started.
Thanks for the suit mom!
It came off much more easily than I anticipated, and I didn't fall over in T1! Sucess!
Deer Creek Fall Challenge Mini-TriP1050023
On the first lap of the bike I was very slow. My cyclocomputer wasn't working and I could tell I wasn't pushing myself. Towards the end of the lap, my chain popped on the climb, so I was able to fix my computer too. On the 2nd lap I managed to average 22 mph, but it just wasn't enough to make up for the first lap. (Overall average 16.4, yikes!)
P1050026P1050031
The run was much easier that I anticipated, though I thought it was 2 miles longer, so I held back a bit, oh well! It was also nice to sit for a minute in T2 to put on my socks and get a bit of encouragement from Coach Geiger.
Until further notice, I'm mainly in the field, so we'll see how this affects cyclocross season, my allergies, my weight and my sanity...

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog as part of the 201Ironman club

    Good luck!!!

    I did that race last year, and did Deer Creek also in the beginning of this year.

    Its always good to find another Columbus blogger

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.