Sunday, October 10, 2010

UCI3 CX Festival in Cincinnati


Thursday night skills clinic with Katie Compton & husband was a great way to spend a Thursday night working on cornering, shifting and sand.
Though I am excited that I have a fun project at work, I wasn't able to race Friday or Sunday because of it. Saturday was warm (80+!), sunny and perfect. There were 50 ladies in the women's 3/4, which was crazy. (More crazy to see 127 guys in the mens 3/4, the first 2 laps were just swarms of guys)
On the first half of the first lap, I crashed a the top of the first steep up hill, taking out 5 ladies behind me, mashing grass into my wheel.
I wore ridiculous gloves though. They seriously made my day, reminding me that we were there to have fun, ride bikes and drink some beer.
Mens:
It was pretty tough out there, but I think it was my best race so far in terms of skills (endurance is another thing...) There were 2 only ladies from Team Awesome/Jeni's Icecream so we stuck around to watch the women's elite too, which was just pretty amazing. Katie Compton finished about a minute ahead of 2nd & 3rd place:
I got a set of new (used) FSA RD-220 wheels & new 11/28 cassette- which I am really digging. They replaced used FSA RD-460s- which came with about 7 replaced spokes and a 12/26. The RD-220's get a bad rap, especially for spokes breaking, but seems that if you are under 165#, you don't have that issue, and I'm happy so far. I was really on the fence about splurging for a nice wheelset, but I'm glad I didn't- the limiting factor in my riding right now is my laziness, so a wheel expense couldn't really be justified. Especially after the Pgh triathlon when I was passing a good number of time trial bikes and other fancy bikes while riding my cx bike, it reiterated that most people purchase more than they need. Anyways, I had a few shifting issues on Thursday night, but once I actually dialed it in (as opposed to throwing on the cassette and assuming it would function well), I really like the gearing set up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.