Friday, February 25, 2011

Red Rocks Recap


rr - not lost just yet
Dusted off the old trad rack last week and took a short jaunt to Red Rocks, NV last week.
Cat in the Hat, 5.6, 4 pitches. 65ish and sunny, perfect weather.
A quick stop to get a bagel on the way out resulted in me recieving a bagel with ham on in (gross!!) but other than that, things were smooth sailing.
After about three years of not trad climbing, some things were a bit rusty- such as trail-finding, rope management, time allotment, fear of heights. I led the first pitch and sadly that was enough for me. I was overprotecting it and went off route so there was a ton of rope drag and it ruined any mental game.
Luckily BP was a champ- it was his first time leading multipitch trad, and he killed it. He's a strong climber so he didn't have to place many pieces on a 5.6.
We didn't have time to do the last pitch, but a good time was had. We really lucked out too- typically this route is jammed with groups, but there were only two others people on our way up and two on our way down. It was 5:10 when we finally got down and got the rope unstuck- so we had to haul pretty quickly out of the canyon to be out of the park by 6:00 (and therefore without a fine). It was interesting to run with the rack on my side and reiterated that I need to be running more in general...
It was the first time I had ever eaten an energy gel while climbing, and now I think that's the way to go. Just a little boost of sugar and caffeine was enough for the day.
P1060152b

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.