Monday, March 14, 2011

COAR's Legraine


So this Saturday, I took a little plunge into the work of Rogaining by attending the Legraine racing put on by the Central Ohio Adventure Racing Org.
Rogaining is the sport of long distance cross-country navigation. Rogaining involves both route planning and navigation between checkpoints using a variety of map types. In a rogaine, teams of 2-5 people choose which checkpoints to visit within a time limit with the intent of maximizing their score. Teamwork, endurance, competition and an appreciation for the natural environment are features of the sport.

Well, I didn't have a 'team', have minimal endurance and really didn't know anything about navigation, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Tuesday night I got a compass, (kinda) learned how to use it Friday and showed up at Salt Fork State Park Saturday.
It was pretty intimidating, and the map was as difficult to read as I had expected, but the park was much bigger than expected. Before the first CheckPoint, I ran into a team of an 8yrs old girl, her dad and grandfather. They let me tag along with them and taught me how to navigate and it was a great day. We only hit 3 or 4 check points and were 6 minutes late getting in, but it was a blast.
Lessons learned:
  • I now know why Gortex lined running shoes exist. I had planned on wearing Gortex socks & my old running shoes, but couldn't find my socks before leaving. I was soaked 25 minutes into the 3hr event. Luckily it was pretty warm out.
  • Don't forget your watch.
  • Gaiters or tight-style pants would have been preferable. Layered wool shirts were perfect.
  • I attached my compass to my wrist- should have gone around my neck or off my pack.
  • A Panera bagel is not the best pre-race food.
  • The new car gets much better gas mileage on the highway than around town (whew).
  • Running miles on a treadmill has little-to-no effect on trail running endurance. I felt as out-of-shape as ever.
  • Not sure if it was just hiking through the woods or the last few miles we ran on the pavement, but my knees were wrecked the next day. I over compensated my bad knee with the good one, and still can barely move the good one. Probably will need to look into finding a replacement brace for my bad knee. (I accidently threw it out a ways back).
  • People doing these things are generally really nice. I was pretty nervous going into it solo, but everyone was great at helping me and welcoming me. Thanks!
  • Should have taken the kayak. Though it was sleeting/snowing/windy the day before, it was 45, sunny and Salt Fork State Park was really nice. Have a feeling that it won't be this quiet later in the summer:


3 comments:

  1. Brian Weis12:41 PM

    It was great having you on the team! Sorry for adding to the pain in your knee with our jog in.

    Vanessa, my dad and I had a great time racing with you, and thanks again for sharing your cliff bar. Vanessa hasn't stopped talking about it.

    For some nice compass practice- try some of the Central Ohio Orienteering events.

    http://centralohioorienteers.org/

    Thanks again!

    BW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian Weis12:44 PM

    Also- Dillion State park is pretty nice to kayak- lots of birds to see- Plus it is closer- around Zanesville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the pain just makes me tougher! Glad Vanessa had such a great time!
    I'll look into Dillion, I keep meaning to try the mtb out there too.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.