Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Savory Spinach Mini Pies

Savory Spinach Mini-pies
These are probably one of the favorite things I had cooked up while living in Pittsburgh. Originally made for a "Pies and Mixtape" Exchange party, but when I got there I realized the flyer in my email was from New Years, 2010 or so. But I handed them out at a local Pgh bar and everyone actually liked them. They are a tad caloric-dense, but pretty filling.
Savory Spinach Mini-pies
I used the Teff crust recipe from Bob's Redmill. Sometime's I'll sub up to 1/4 of the teff for flaxmeal, and I found that it is a little easier if you bake the crust, and when it's almost done, scoop in the fill and bake a bit longer- just a few minutes for the filling to settle in:

  • 1/4 cup Water (chilled)
  • 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
  • 3-1/2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup Teff Flour

Before starting, make sure all the ingredients are well chilled.
In a small bowl, whisk together the water, oil and salt.
Stir in the flour. Press in a 9-inch pie plate.
Fill and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until the filling done. If edges beginning to brown too quickly cover edges with foil.
To bake an empty shell, prick with fork; bake 12-15 minutes.
Makes one 9-inch pie crust (8 slices).

For the filling, I used an adaption of this filling recipe:
  • 6 fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c almonds, soaked for 2 hours
  • 1/2 c cashews, soaked for 2 hours
  • 1/3 c water
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • salt and pepper to taste


1. Soak the spinach in a 1:4 ratio of vinegar:water to get rid of pesticides and fungus. Drain and chop.
2. While the spinach is soaking, add the nuts to a food processor along with 1/3 c of water and process until a smooth paste forms. You might need to scrape the sides of the food processor a few times.
3. In a deep frying pan, heat some oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
4. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
5. As soon as the spinach is cooked, add the nut cream. Mix well.
6. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for a few minutes.
9. Bake the pies in the oven until golden brown and delicious

At the time I did not possess an appropriate food processor, so I subbed the soaked-whole almonds with almond butter.   My family is pretty partial to bland foods that do not contain garlic, but I think the dish could definitely be enhanced with garlic and some curry powder.  I'm pretty excited to make these again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.